2018 Special - Visit The Beautiful Mills of Oud Zuilen & Castle Zuylen / Bezoek de Mooie Molens van Oud Zuilen & Slot Zuylen.
|Oud Zuilen aan de Vecht|
|De Molen van de Polder Buitenweg of Buitenwegse Molen|
After brutally being set on fire on March 15, 2016, we have, after almost two years, our beautiful little mill back. And is again brotherly next to his big brother.
They are still raping up things, but the fact that we can welcome it again in our municipality Stichtse Vecht makes a lot of people happy.
When I cycled past this spot without the mill it felt so empty
|left/links Buitenwegse Molen and right/rechts Westbroekse Molen|
The mill of the Polder of Buitenweg (Buitenwegse Molen) is the smallest of the Province of Utrecht and next to it stands the mill of the Polder Westbroek (Westbroekse Molen), and is the largest of the province and together they are a special appearance in the area.
The mill of the Polder is built in 1830 and replaced several smaller farmers ‘mills.
The house was painted red in 1931 which is special because the common colors in Utrecht were green and black. The red color was the basic color of the mills in the Rhineland.
In 1932, the water wheel was replaced by a vertical screw pump which could also be propelled by an electric motor so that the mill could also do its service at calm weather.
The mill also received other wicks, the so-called Fokwieken, which yield a higher return.
The mill is a hollow post mill, one of the oldest types of polder mills. The miller must put the Wicker cross, which is placed on the Red House, entirety on the wind to be able to turn and grind. The mill thus grinds the polder water to the higher-lying bosom.
Its larger brother Mill of the Polder Westbroek, is the replacement of the mill that used to be on the edge of river the Vecht.
The old mill, presumably also a hollow post mill, was moved a few hundred meters by order of the Deputy States in 1743, because the rotating blades seems to have frightened passers-by.
After burning in 1753, the current mill was placed
Until 1946 the mill independently pumped the polder, nowadays the mill functions as an auxiliary pumping station
Between the two mills lies a monumental locks complex.
|The Canals of Castle Zuylen / De Grachten van Slot Zuylen|
|The so called snake wall / De zogenaamde slangenmuur|