Special: Part 3 - Winter Tour Eastern Canada & the state of New York January / February 2018
For today I have planned a longer ride as I will cross the border to the United States and the latter will undoubtedly take some time because the green card has to be collected at US Customs (cost US $ 6).
I was lucky as It took almost no time, it went super fast and actually it was dead quiet at the border in this time.
It is located in the Adirondacks Mountains and is known for its:
- 46 High Peaks, the name is due to the 46 peaks of over 4,000 ft (1,219m), actually, there appeared to be less than 4,000 fter's in later measurements, but the name has been retained. It is a popular hiking area and mountaineers eldorado.
- in the winter it offers many winter sports activities such as cross-country skiing, skiing, snowshoe hiking and skating on one of the many lakes that are in the area. Two other popular excursions are: snowmobile and dog sledding, but you should have good weather during these activities because the prices are pretty high.
- Lake Placid Olympic Museum where the flame of the Winter Games is still burning.
- Olympic Jumping Complex & Olympic Sports Complex and in the latter you can make a descent with the bobsleigh under supervision, costs are around US $ 95 per person. More information can be found here. A real thrill but one with a decent price.
Lake Placid was founded at the beginning of the 19th century, due to the proximity of iron mines. In 1845 Gerrit Smith (leading American social reformer, abolitionist, politician and philanthropist) arrived in the area. He bought a large piece of land around the village and gave part of it to former slaves to show his support for anti-slavery.
Another abolitionist, John Brown (militant fighter against slavery, he was hanged in 1859 after a failed attempt to start a slave uprising), heard about Smith's actions and decided to go to the area. He also bought a piece of land that later became known as the Freed Slave Utopian Experiment.
John Brown Farm Historic State Parc is just outside of Lake Placid.
By the end of the nineteenth century, the area became a popular holiday destination for the upper class of the region. Crucial for its popularity was the Lake Placid Club, which was located in a local hotel. Since the club also remained open in the winter, it played an important role in the development of winter sports. The winter sports possibilities were quickly expanded, making it in 1921 already possible to ski jumping, skating and skiing.
If you are in the area you should not miss a visit to the High Falls Gorge, in the summer a roaring waterfall and in the winter less roar but certainly beautiful with its frozen Ausable River and the icicles at the edges of the canyon . It is suitable for young and old but also the disabled can get acquainted with this natural disaster because there is a neat wheelchair friendly path laid out in winter but I can not recommend this with the wheelchair.
Hope this information will help you plan a next trip to this beautiful place.
Vandaag een langere rit op het programma en ik ga de grens over naar de United States en dit laatste zal ongetwijfeld wat tijd in beslag nemen want de green-card moet worden gehaald bij US Customs (kosten US$ 6). Het kostte dus nagenoeg geen tijd want het ging super snel en eigenlijk was het in deze tijd doodstil bij de grens.
- 46 High Peaks, de naam is te danken aan de 46 pieken van boven de 4.000 ft (1.219m), eigenlijk bleek er bij latere metingen minder 4.000 fter’s te zijn maar de naam is behouden. Het is een geliefd wandelgebied en bergbeklimmers eldorado.
- ’s winters bied het vele wintersport mogelijkheden zoals, crosscountry skiën, skiën sneeuwschoen wandelen en schaatsen op een van de vele meren die het gebied rijk is. Twee andere zeer geliefde excursies zijn: sneeuwscooter en hondensledetochten, maar bij deze activiteiten moet je wel goed weer hebben want de prijzen zijn stevig.
- Lake Placid Olympic Museum waar de vlam van de Winterspelen nog steeds brandend gehouden wordt.
- Olympic Jumping Complex & Olympic Sports Complex en bij de laatste kun je met de bobslee een afdaling maken onder begeleiding, kosten liggen rond US$ 95 per persoon. Meer informatie vind je hier. Een echte belevenis maar wel een met een behoorlijke prijs.